Corangamite Shire

Council Services

State Emergency Services (SES)

Contacting SES

In the event that you or your property are affected by flood or storm, you should contact the State Emergency Service on 132 500.  Calls made to this number from a landline are automatically diverted to the local SES unit or an emergency communications centre, where a trained call taker will note the details and despatch the local SES unit to the incident.  People who phone from a mobile phone might be required to identify the state they are calling from before their call is drected to the local SES unit or an emergency communications centre.

In the event that someone's life is in danger during a flood or storm, you should always dial 000 for police, fire and ambulance.

SES Assistance

SES provides temporary emergency assistance to help people protect themselves and their property from further damage in the event of:

  • Trees down on a building
  • Damaged roofs
  • Rising flood water
  • General building damage
  • Trees down and blocking access; and
  • Any storm damage that may be a threat to life or property.

The role of the SES volunteer team is to make the scene safe.  It is the property owner's responsibility to arrange for the removal of debris and make permanent repairs to their property.

Cost of SES Assistance

There is no cost for SES assistance and all their volunteers are trained to national standards.  The SES is a community based organisation meaning that the volunteers are locals with local knowledge and are aware of the critical rescue requirements of your area.

For more information about the SES, visit their website.